Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Sunspots on a Spring Day

Happy, happy Spring! With the jet stream flowing through it feels just like summer here on the hill. It is actually muggy but we won't complain, will we? On our easy walk today Mom and I spied the first golden drops of coltsfoot dotting a small patch beside Darling Hill Road.

It's such a sunny flower. Though come summer I will think of it as a huge pest, on this first full day of spring it is a very welcome sight--our very first color after the snow!

Today the sun shone full then ducked behind great, puffy clouds giving us a cool reprieve as we strolled across the field and down the hill. The mud is drying up along our stretch but if you travel by car there is still plenty to enjoy along the well traveled roads. On my way home from morning work I chose the high spots and only occasionally fell into deep ruts. 

Remember that I told you about our little "waterfall and brook" across from our house? It was only about one week ago. I had exclaimed that we would enjoy this gurgling waterway until ALL that snow in the field disappears. Today it is totally GONE. There is no more snow except along the upper hedgerow and in low ditches. The brook is all but dried up and the waterfall only a memory. We'll be happy to see it return next spring and perhaps can enjoy its music to our ears for a longer period then.

The coltsfoot will soon be trying to invade my garden plots and I will be digging and pulling in an attempt to get ahead of her creeping roots that travel 2 inches beneath the soil's surface and cover our side hill. At that time I will try to remember this spring day when I looked at these sunny faces with delight.

Happy Spring to you all. Thanks for stopping!


No comments:

Post a Comment