Monday, March 19, 2012

The World, Upside Down

One shiny black dot below a little white stripe;
Around the tree he peeks at me;
 beady-eye.

A seed clamped tight, in a short pointed beak;
he hops around, all upside-down
 while other friends stand on their feet
 heads right-side up, enjoying sup.
 
I hear the call come to my ears;
"yank-yank-yank", hopping to the bank;
  poised to fly.

The seed gets cracked while his little head bobs
to and fro; see him go
 back to the tree where once again;
 peach-belly north, he presses forth.

From behind the feeder, head pointed south
I see him chance, take a glance;
 feeder's spy.

Yellow and pinks, gray with flecks
 of black converge and meld;
 then Nuthatch's friends come sweeping in;
Their flash of slate-blue crosses my view!

-Cyndy
Though the poetry is mine, this picture is not one of my own but is taken from a website. I found that I had no photos of these lovely little nuthatches. Isn't he sweet?






No comments:

Post a Comment