Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Simplicity

"For we are laborers together with God; ye are God's husbandry, ye are God's building." I Cor. 3:9

What a privilege, to be a co worker with God! In my Sunday School class I have been teaching the children from Matthew 11:28-30 where we are called to come, yoke up with, and learn of the Lord Jesus. He wants us to take His yoke upon us. This morning I was reading from the book of Acts, the account of Peter who was put in prison and was to be executed after the Passover. He was there in the prison, yoked up with his Lord Jesus Christ, knowing only that he was serving God. In Acts 12:6 it said that Peter was "sleeping between two soldiers" (what a picture of the peace of God) when the angel shined into the prison and smote him on the side. His chains fell off and he followed the angel out of that place!

I read a quote, "Beware of any work for God which enables you to evade concentration on Him". Peter didn't let "trial" take his eyes off his goal. His goal was God Himself. This quote, though, eludes to the fact that even a good work can take our affections off our Lord Jesus if our eyes are focused only upon ourself, our homemaking, our charities, jobs, volunteering, and even knowledge of the Scriptures, and witnessing (ouch!). This was a good reminder for me not to worship my work. The work does not depend upon me, but only upon He Who is my Co-laborer. I have to be absolutely devoted to coming to Him daily and letting Him be the lead Yoke-fellow. He already has the yoke, we need to "take" His yoke upon us.

As a newly married girl, God showed me a verse, "My soul, wait thou only upon God; for my expectation is from Him." Ps 62:5. How often my eyes and heart have begun to stray from this. When we have asked God for some specific thing, and He has not provided it, or it has not come in our time-frame...how long are we to wait? I heard in a sermon once, ..."until". That is all. Just wait, and let Him be our expectation. Nothing that is withheld from us in this earthly life will be of any consequence when it comes to eternity.

Today I am reminded that this is the picture of a beautiful, simple life. I don't want Satan (that old serpent) to beguile me so that my mind would be "corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ". II Cor.11:3

It is April 23 and the snow is coming down hard; gathering in the low places and causing us on the hill to smile at the reminder of a winter that is passed. It is a Spring snow and will soon be gone again. I hope that you have a wonderful day between the raindrops and snowdrops, wherever you are. Thank you for stopping by.

Painted Trillium


No comments:

Post a Comment