Monday, April 23, 2012

Granola Bars and Coffee

Today's recipe for Granola Bars turned out really well. In the past I have made "bars" that turned into Granola instead. These held together quite nicely and look like they'll travel to work well.


As you can see I did end up with a bowl of Granola, but it was just the stray edges that browned a bit more and the crumbs that were left from the cutting.  I modified the recipe a little because I did not have enough raisins. The first ingredient it called for was 1 c. granola (I thought that was funny. I did not have a cup of granola (I do NOW), so substituted more oats).

Here's "my" recipe if you care to try:    
This only makes about fourteen  1 1/2" X 4" bars, approx 3/4"thick

2 C rolled oats 
1 C chopped almonds (any nuts)
1/2 C flour (I used whole wheat)
1/2 raisins (or a combination of dried fruit, I like cranberries, but ended up using frozen raspberries)
1 beaten egg
1/3 C honey
1/4 C packed brown sugar
1/3 C cooking oil (here I used mostly coconut oil because we're trying to introduce it into our regular diet, just soften it in the measuring cup -set into a pan of hot water)
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon

Line an 8 X 11 baking pan with foil (though next time I may use parchment so no stray, tiny pieces of foil get stuck to a piece of fruit) then grease the foil. Combine oats, nuts, flour, and raisins. Stir in egg, honey, brown sugar & cinnamon. Mix well and press hard into the greased pan. Bake at 325 degrees for 30 minutes or so, till lightly browned around the edges. Cool completely. Use foil to lift from pan and put on flat surface. Use a large knife to cut into bars.
Enjoy some granola with a fresh cup of coffee!

Now it's time to make a meatloaf. I have been craving it all day. I hope you're having a great afternoon. I am awaiting our "cousin dog", Coco. She is going to stay with us for the next few days. I'm praying for the rain to stop (sorry!) so that there will not be three sets of muddy footprints all over the floor. 

More news: My hubby just called from work. He's bringing home a few more visitors tonight; four free-range chickens. A fellow at work is giving them away because they're aggressive toward the other chickens. One must be slaughtered tonight, as he is having trouble swallowing (oh, dear).  I will post pictures. This could get interesting. Three chickens and three dogs. Perhaps a video will be better!





2 comments:

  1. Granola sounds good. If you have extras that you eat in a bowl, you could pour some warm milk over that. It would be tasty good and very filling :) :) Love and hugs from the ocean shores of California, Heather :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good idea, Heather. I just had one bowl with cold milk and frozen blueberries in it. It was really good, but the warm milk sounds delicious! - Cyn

    ReplyDelete