Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Lotsa Apple Sausa!

To blog or to Facebook - that is the question.  I decided to do a little of both, as so many of my dear friends are not on fb - which I don't blame you for, as (for the most part) it is a shallow form of communication - but it does keep Syd and I  in touch with many individuals that we had not seen for decades, so we stay with it for  now.

Today was a day of apples.  I took a picture of Mom in front of one of the heavily laden trees. So many of them are just bending down with clusters of apples this year!!


As you can see, there was no need for us to go to an orchard to get our fruit.  We had many more than these, but we made our way home from the top of the hill with these bags on one of the trips.


We wish we knew the varieties of Mom's apples.   I'm pretty sure one tree is Duchess, but not positive on the others.  I had gone to the Titus field and picked up Wolf River earlier today.  My boss up the road gave me permission to take as many Spyes as I want.  I've made up one batch from them already.  This picture just shows the varieties in color, though there are more now.  NONE of them come out as purple-pink as our friend, Eddy's, do though. They've gone by, sorry to say.  We did get a little early sauce from them.


Here's Mom having a little break with some soup and, of course, applesauce, coffee and chocolate (compliments of Syd) for dessert.


We discovered a wonderful thing last night.  Syd informed me that he has been losing weight (I had noticed this).  It's nothing that I prompted him to do, he's just been paying attention. We have been changing our eating for a couple years now; just more whole grain, no sugary drinks (he does have his one Moxie per month), more fruit and nuts, etc.  Yes, we'll both pig out at Thanksgiving still.  We had some sorbet and some ice-cream in the freezer (we do still partake from time to time, nothing's actually off limits entirely).  We had warm applesauce and just put a small scoop of sorbet (for Syd, ice-cream for me) in it.  It satisfies MUCH more than just a bowl of ice cream, in our opinion.  It was a wonderful discovery for us.  Thought I'd pass it on.

It's cooled off to 50 degrees and that Autumn nip is back in the air.  The leaves are floating down and while the trees are becoming barer, the golden blanket is getting thicker.

I hope you have a good evening, all.

2 comments:

  1. Warm applesauce sounds yummy! I just love fall... the smells... the foods:)... the beauty!

    We tried to check out your Esty shop, but could not find it. Do you have a link? Researching earrings was a BAD idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mrs V,
    We love warm applesauce with a dash of cinnamon and a little heavy cream to the top.It is soooo good and sweet and I think better for us then alot of things.

    ReplyDelete