Thursday, April 26, 2012

"Gentle Chickens"

Today was the morning the 3 new roosters were allowed to begin their "free range". As you can see, they don't feel exactly "free" and under the building seems to be the place they feel safest. That is, until Ruger decided to check them out a bit closer. Since Ruger was young he was taught the word "gentle" (he had a stuffed "gentle bunny" that he was not allowed to tear up, just lapped it and got it all soaking wet). We hope that it will pertain to the chickens as well. At lunchtime Mom and I both gave him a good talking to about the "chickens", while his tail wagged. We told him that he needs to be "gentle" with "our chickens" and not eat them. He cocked his head back and forth at each of us. All I know is, while I held him by the collar this morning, talking to him, his whole body quivered. Yet, I have known farms with labs AND free range chickens.


Having already pulled a tick off each dog, we would really desire these guys to keep the ticks and other bugs cleaned up out in the dooryard. I do believe it will be a challenge with the garden and am already figuring ways to keep them out of my raised beds, at least until everything has come up out of the ground. They may become dinner sooner than we think, if my finished plans don't prove efficient enough.

In the early eighties, Syd and I had chickens and a husky named, Shimrith (Hebrew word meaning "watchful", which she WAS). Ocassionally one of the chickens would forget herself and step just inside Shimrith's circle. She would shoot out of her doghouse and come almost to the end of her chain. The chicken would be history. We tried hanging a dead hen around her neck for several days. She didn't seem to mind as much as we did. She never really did get over killing them. They just had to smarten up, which most of them did.

Coco did really well alone and loose in our house this morning. Sturm was in his kennel. Ruger was at work with me, still pining for his chickens, but content to run around and bark at the ducks in the pond. The little shop I work in is out in the country and dogs often come to work. It's a relaxed, happy atmosphere. My boss was here last week and surprised me with a new computer. I no longer have to go upstairs to get on the internet, which is necessary for communication while he's in SC for winters. This was a nice addition to my office! I have felt like I'm on vacation the last couple days, as I've skipped out on work and stayed home. It's been nice, but payroll necessitated my going in yesterday - people like to get paid, including me! so I worked until noon and then worked at a nearby post office from 2-5:00. These are dream jobs, and each are less than 7 miles from home! I am so thankful that the Lord opened them up for me.

 Here are the dogs at work, enjoying the pond

Here's Sturm at work; obviously it's a machine shop. He has to stay hooked in there so he doesn't get metal chips in his feet!

God is so good to us, isn't He!? Today we have had black, cloudy skies with showers; then sun and blue sky; more rain, with a little ice and snow mixed in. That is the way with the Christian life. God knows when to send us sunshine and warmth and He also knows when to send a storm our way to cause us to lean hard on Him and to strengthen our faith. There is always the possibility and sometimes a tendency for complaining, but we ought not to. The surprise hailstorms in Spring are sent for a reason. We can trust, smile and go on with Him.

Don't I look proud of myself!?
I wonder how many times I have had to fix Sturm's halter, shown here. I just hate to spend another $18.00 for a new one. I keep cutting a black, nylon leash and sew it together again! If we forget to take it off when we leave, he gets bored and chews through it.

Later today Mom and Evelyn came up for coffee & cookies. As you can see, Sturm especially has taken to Evelyn!

...and fell asleep on her. He and Coco were both enjoying a snooze while we chatted and watched a slideshow of photos.

Well, it's time to think about what we'll have for supper.  I will say goodbye for now. Thanks for stopping by Darling Hill to see what's going on up here.

1 comment:

  1. Our labs are very good with our chickens.
    Our guineas eat the ticks in the yard and do a very good job of it!

    ReplyDelete