Monday, April 23, 2012

Welcome, Early Spring Rain!

The welcome rains are here. All night we could hear the soaking rain and we are thankful for this.

This morning I read from a very old book written by S. D. Gordon, published in the early 1900s. The old writers just have a way of saying things that is hard to capture today. The book is entitled Quiet Talks on Following the Christ. I would like to share an excerpt:

"Our Lord Jesus was the face of God looking longingly into men's faces. And they couldn't withstand  the appeal of that gentle strong face. He was the voice of God talking into men's ears; and the music of that low, quiet voice thrilled and thralled their hearts. He was the hand of God, strong and warm, reaching down to take men by their hand in His, they came to feel the little knotted place in the palm of that outstretched hand, and the feel of it went strangely into their inmost being. He was the heart of God, tender and true, beating rhythmically in time and tune with the human heart. And the music had, and has, strange power of appeal to human hearts, and power to sway human lives like a great wind in the trees."

I love reading meaningful words. Prose and Poetry lend themselves to making one think in pictures. I am so thankful that Jesus drew me to Himself one day. I did recognize the shed blood; the death of Him who took the punishment that I deserved because of my sin. As a christian walks with the Lord through the years, we come to know more and more the preciousness of that sacrifice; to understand more fully what that "little knotted place" on His hand really means.

As I sit and look out the window, the maple trees have unfurled their leaves more this morning than yesterday. Seldom do I write in rhyming poetry form but this morning, as one who has received the precious, shed blood of Jesus these words come to my heart and mind:

Early Spring Pictures

Winding down a narrow way,
  soft footsteps fall on moss and earth.
Tiny maple leaves unfurl --more full than yesterday.
'Look at me', they say;
  glory of our great Creator in tiny green on twig of gray.

Each step reminiscent of a daily choice;
  Jesus' personal touch with His nail-scarred hand;
The path is strewn with the Master's voice;
'Walk worthy, stand, evermore rejoice',
  E're rocks would cry out, yea, Rejoice!

A robin preens by the brook; tiny creature rests on the limb of a tree.
  they creep, they jump; stride in a glory all their own;
None created in God's image here, but me;
  to live forever--to nearer be
  and abide with Him for eternity.

Once the rains stop I hope to truly get out for a walk on Darling Hill. I'm thankful that you stopped by and hope you have a beautiful, welcome, rainy day.

No comments:

Post a Comment