Thursday, June 21, 2012

Nothing Much-ness

Two of my fellow-bloggers named their recent posts "Miscellaneousness" and "...Randomness", so I thought I'd follow suit. I  know this one got lost last night, and I was able to retrieve it today and get it posted. Sorry for the confusion.

Here it is, the first day of Summer - and it's HOT! I don't mean to complain, as I know that the southern and western states are REALLY getting it. We are experiencing a stiff breeze and are so thankful for this.

Not alot has been happening on the hill lately. Ruger has not run into any more fawns in the bush. One new thing, Sturm HAS learned to be off his leash! That is a big breakthrough. As some of you know, he was a stray (left off at a local park and ride) and was a "runner". During the week that we had him on trial we actually had to sign a paper saying that we would not just let him out the door with no leash. I certainly did not want to lose him either, especially when we didn't know if he was going to work out. He did, of course, stay with us and knows his way around enough now so that he can go loose around our house and up at Grammy's too. He met my brother's little dogs, Chichi and Jack, last weekend and they all got long famously! He is getting to understand children also. Our great nephew, Lucius, was up last weekend and Sturm is now beginning to see that all little children make quick moves and it really is not anything to worry about. Lucius is a good one for him to get practice on, because nothing really scares Lucius! Sturm is a real "little boy's dog". I like to call him TUFFY because he has one tooth (sometimes more) that likes to stick out from under his lip and he always looks like he's looking for a fight. We are finding him to be a truly loving and even 'gentle' (much of the time) dog. I think Ruger is rubbing off on him some.

The peonies are out in full force here. I almost think that these are my favorite 'showy' flower. I love hydrangeas also. I guess I like flowers on either a very large scale or a very tiny one. They both appeal to me in the same way. I took a boquet of peonies to Mom this noon. There is a huge bush out behind where I worked this morning. I brought a few to look at here at the post office this afternoon too.



Another happening on the hill this week: our rooster crowed! (or is that 'crew'?) I have been trying to teach him how to crow for some time. The first few times I 'cock-a-doodle doo'ed at him, he JUMPED and looked at me sideways. I think it scared him. Several mornings ago I came down from staying the night at Mom's and Syd informed me that Buck-buck crew! (or crowed). He did say that he did a terrible job at it. I have now witnessed just how sad his crowing is, but I think he'll come into it yet. Every morning around 4:30 or so he gives several attempts. The first morning I heard him I thought that it was an odd sounding turkey down in the woods. Just try to hear this, "Er, er, uht!"  -- see? he doesn't add the, "uh, OOOooh!" on the end. I say that it may be because he can't stand to his full height in the pen that we have him in. He's a little stooped over and cannot throw his head straight up. Syd thinks not, but we are in the process of getting him a little more space which may improve his crowing.

Ruger is with Grammy for the afternoon and I hope they're staying in the woods as promised. She and I sat on her porch during lunch and the beautiful breeze made it quite enjoyable. We are still working on her little garden (not today though).  I must put a short fence around it, as I did at home. Both dogs thought they could dig in hers today.

As many of you know, I work in several local post offices. I do not talk about my job(s) very often because they are not really what I wish to focus on. Home is my favorite place to be. I am only glad that the Lord has given me abilities to be able to work with the public so that I can be a help to my husband in some of the financial burden. It is always a challenge to balance duties at home and work, especially when the out-of-the-home schedule gets fuller than I had hoped. There are so many changes on the way for postal workers, and so much is still not known. We are waiting to know what options may come up or when it may be feasible to give up the job, if need be. Whenever the Lord closes a door in one area He does it for a reason. Jobs come and jobs go and the Lord provides for us, no matter what. Those of you who know the Lord and would like to pray about this, we would certainly appreciate it. My greatest desire would be to have at least two FULL days at home each week.

One more big praise - we are pricing siding for our cabin! I received a certain amount of money for my 50th birthday and we have been holding it aside. Syd wanted to know what I would best like to do with it. I said, "put siding on the house". He priced barnboard and we wouldn't even have been able to do the front for that amount! It will be a surprise to everyone to see what we are leaning towards. I'll let you know in a future post! It's a cliff-hanger!! 

Thanks, all, for stopping by the hill and listing to our "nothing much-ness"!
Take care.

1 comment:

  1. Enjoyed your nothing much-ness :). That was very strange, I did not know posts would just disappear like that. Your rooster is soooo funny :) I really wish you had videoed trying to teach him to crow!Looking forward to seeing what you chose for siding :). We will keep work in prayer and at least 2 days at home for you.
    I am back online (and faster too :) the cable man came and put in a new modem ... my phone just rang and it makes a really funny sound though ... that can wait for Nick though.

    ReplyDelete