Tuesday, June 21, 2011

The Fruit of Thy Labor

I read an email from a dear friend today.  It means alot to get a heartfelt message.  I never thought that a lettter via computer could be ALMOST like getting one on paper.  A couple of years ago,  you could have told me that and I would have laughed.  I must admit (though I hate to), the "Arial" type-text email I received this morning was full of as much heartfelt love and encouragement as hand-written words on a card could give.  The note itself encouraged me to grow in grace and in the knowledge of my Lord Jesus Christ, as it says in II Peter 3:18.  That verse goes on to say, "To Him be glory both now and for ever.  Amen."  My growth in the Lord depends on Him and the Lord Himself will receive the glory for it.  

I was just outside seeing Syd off as he left for work.  I perused the plants in the garden and I see that the beans are shooting up, tomato plants are blossoming, the lettuces are struggling along.  My lilies are getting ready to burst open.  The zinnias have been trying to avoid Ruger's heavy feet and destructive tail daily.  As yet none of them are broken off and they just may blossom soon.  Some of the flowers which were started from seed are peeking through the earth, trying to reach for some sun.  Every plant out there is in a different stage of growth.

Those of us who have a relationship with our heavenly Father, "have been planted together in the likeness of His death..."  As I turned to Romans 6:6-9, it reminds me that when I made that decision to trust the Savior's death for my sin, I died with him.  After Christ died, He ROSE from the dead.   He is alive now.  An important note:  There has never been another person, historically, EVER, who rose from the dead of their own accord!   These verses go on to say that I rose with Him also!  What an encouraging verse is Romans 6:11, "Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead INDEED unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord"!  God is doing a work of growth in my heart, and in the hearts of those of you who have this same relationship with Him.

It was wonderful for me to see my little plants in different stages of growth.  Each one of these seeds had to die in order for new life to spring forth.  Imagine how the Lord takes pleasure in seeing his little believers coming out of the ground and reaching up toward Him, leafing out; getting sturdy stalks; some of them may be struggling along, but moving in the right direction; others are growing buds here and there and then to have those buds burst forth and produce fruit!  If we get pleasure from earthly plants, we can be assured that our Heavenly Father, the Husbandman, gets much more pleasure and glory in watching His people grow!
Well, the "poor little Oxalis" has been moved outside.  If you look closely - It's growing!  There's a new little shoot with leaves right in the middle and, dare I say, another tiny one coming.  This is before giving it the Diet Coke, which I was advised to do.  I will still try that, though I may be forced to use regular Coke because of my aversion to anything "diet".    I think it needs sweetness (don't we all).  It certainly needed the sun, and part-shade.

I hope that you all have a sun-filled day and can take pleasure in some of the fruits of your labor.

No comments:

Post a Comment