Thursday, July 7, 2011

The Glamorless Now

Does anyone remember glamour? I remember during my teen years, thinking my future would be full of glamour. I was 18 when we were first married, and things were never glamorous, perhaps, but I felt that they were. In decorating, Country Living was my guide then. I would pour over my most recent magazine; pulling things out of the closet or nearby yard sale to make the house look just like that picture! Of course, now I prefer House Beautiful (still look over the Country Living though at times). We drove junk cars and went to the local ballfield for entertainment, but those early years seemed so glamorous! Bradley was a baby and he never had the best stroller, or designer clothes (I preferred those cute striped shirts that rode up over his fat little belly), but just thinking back on those years brings all the comfy thoughts waving over my soul.

Now that I'm older I have almost lost the desire for glamor. Don't get me wrong, there are days that I feel so "together" (especially when I head out to clothes-shop, perhaps) that I still get a glamor-twinge. My brother brought an "extractor" up to the Hill last weekend. He helped me EXTRACT dirt out of my car! Have you ever "extracted"!? It's incredible. We have always kept seat covers on our car seats, but guess what...DIRT gets right through those. The water was BLACK when he finished and I vowed that Ruger would never get back in that car again! I put new covers on as soon as the seats were dry on Saturday and Ruger still has not gotten on the front seat, as I have something "parked" there at all times!

When riding in the car over the past few days, it feels so glamorous to be in such a clean car!!

Today I was reading from an old book by Vance Havner. That man can say, in so few words, more than anyone I know. He was saying that George Muller kept on his desk a motto bearing the central words of Hebrews 13:8, "AND TODAY" ("Jesus Christ; the same yesterday, and today, and forever."). He goes on to say, "-what a time we have with that middle span! Amid the dull monotony of things as they are, when the skies seem leaden and nothing breaks on the uninteresting scene, it is easier to visualize the Christ of the Galilean Past or the Christ of the Glorious Future than to expect great things from the Christ of the Glamourless Now."..."He said that He would be with us 'all the days' (of our life), and that includes today."

This was a blessing to me and it is what started me thinking about how much glamor I used to imagine and desire. I am so thankful that the Lord has made me extremely happy in the everyday! Sometimes I think that if I had more, I would be so estatic that no one would be able to stand me. No doubt there are many who can't anyway, but that's okay. Then there are those days when the skies are leaden and nothing breaks on the uninteresting horizon, and I forget just how He is with me TODAY!

Talk about glamor! check out this glorious trillium!

As I move into today, I hope that the Lord keeps my eyes open to Himself. I have committed it to Him and He is the one who is doing the work; therefore if I fail, it is because I've turned to the right hand or to the left!

I hope you have a wonderful day. It's an adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment