Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Forcing Blooms

The rains are coming gently down and it sounds so beautiful. We'd been through a dry spell in recent past and then had many days of rain in a row but have just enjoyed three consecutive sunny ones. Some of you know that I work in small post offices throughout the area. The post office is one of the places that one will hear the most complaints about the weather! Saturday the talk was, "well, we're supposed to have about three really nice days...then MORE RAIN!" To that I said, "good, we need rain about every three days; and isn't it nice that we got that steady several days of it last week?" It is true, isn't it? We really enjoyed these three days of sun and warmth. Now it is, evidently, time for more watering. I am sorry, for those of you who are reading this from parts of the West and places that are in drought. I do not know what it is like to suffer with those kind of conditions and I do try to remember to pray for rain out there.


The apple blossoms are forming. Some early trees are in full bloom. Now, between the bees pollinating and the Lord sending the rain, we hope to have another bumper crop of apples. The trees in this area were just laden last Fall! The other day I cut some of the small branches and crushed the ends, placing them in warm water to force their blooms. These dainty blossoms are just so beautiful inside the house, it's like bringing the outdoors in. Warm water tricks them into thinking that it is time to open, so they do! Of course, these will never bring forth the fruit, for which they were intended, without the work of God's hand in pollinating and maturing.

Aren't you glad that God does not force His believing children into premature bloom? He uses His Word, pastors and teachers, and the Holy Sprit to open our hearts and eyes to truth so that we can bloom, grow and bring forth the fruit of the Spirit.

"But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord." II Cor. 3:18

I wanted to let you know that I started my violet syrup last night. When I went to drop off bread for our friend, Evelyn, I noticed LOTS of violet blossoms in one corner of her garden. I took a baggie and popped off about a cupful of heads, brought them home and got them steeping in a cup of water. I'll let you know how it comes out.
the "tea" gives off a beautiful blue hue
Thanks for stopping in. I hope that you enjoy your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment