Wednesday, May 9, 2012

More on Violets

Violet Syrup! It's pretty and delicious!
Initially it took on this slight blue hue as it steeped, but lost much of its color by the time the 24 hours was over. I was disappointed, but when I went to strain it and add the juice of 1/2 lemon, the chemical reaction brought on this beautiful pink! I added the sugar and stirred & simmered for 10 minutes (once sugar is dissolved you only have to stir occasionally) and it became a true syrup. The taste is mild and nice. Violets (Heartsease) have analgesic and antiseptic properties. It is also an expectorant, so this can be used as a cough syrup.
Others I have read say that they have used it to dip pancakes in and to pour over shaved ice. It was a fun experiment. The recipe (found in Aunt Jan's Wild Corner, to left) made approximately 10 ounces. I plan on making more and keeping it (as long as the violets last) to use in place of that nasty "tussin" Syd uses for his sinuses. I'll keep people posted as to how it's working.

I also read that a cloth soaked in the "tea" of violets and placed on the back of the neck relieves headaches. I have not tried this yet.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Darling Hill!

I hate disclaimers, but remember, "try these recipes at your own risk". I read of a blogger who is facing charges for naming the diet plan that helped his diabetes. How ludicrous! It's the day and age we live in, sadly.

1 comment:

  1. It looks so pretty sitting on the shelf! Jonathan would love to try that syrup today as he woke up with a cold :(. Hope you don't get a headache just so you can try it out :).
    Have a wonderful day ... the rain makes it soooo cozy :).

    ReplyDelete