Thursday, February 2, 2012

"Lord, Increase our Faith"

Reading from the gospel of Luke today I was impressed with the apostles' answer as Jesus taught them concerning forgiveness toward a brother. Jesus said, "If thy brother trespass against thee, rebuke him; if he repent, forgive him, and if he trespass against thee seven times in a day, and seven times in a day turn again to thee, saying 'I repent', thou shalt forgive him." (Luke 17:3,4).  The apostles replied, "Lord, increase our faith". My faith has never been tried to this degree, as perhaps the apostles' had not. My response is the same though, "Lord increase my faith."

This living book can never be exhausted and what a blessing to be privileged to have the Holy Spirit teach us from it! Some of the teachings/examples that Jesus give seem like something we might never encounter. At one time in our lives we have, most likely, all had to rebuked someone for a sin committed against us, and yes the beautiful healing and binding up of wounds that result from these times are so special and unforgettable. These are the things that the Lord uses to bring us and others closer to Him and to one another as a church, whether local or universal. The forgiveness is real and tangible; the sin put behind us and life goes on; but I have never had to encounter it more than once in a day! say nothing of seven times! To this possibility, we could only say, Lord increase our faith.

The account that follows in Luke 17 concerning the servant and his lord is so matter-of-fact. The servant is not asked to take his ease after being out in the field, but is expected to serve his lord, and after the lord is served, then the servant can set down at meat. Nor is the servant thanked for doing that which was expected of him, but was only to realize that he had simply done what was his duty to do. That's my responsibility; not to question my Master but to serve him in all the menial tasks he leads me to; serve Him and realize that, even after I have done all that was expected of me, I have only done that which was my duty to do. Thankfully, those who are blood-bought people, have a relationship to the Lord much closer than the unprofitable servant was to his lord. We are God's children; His beloved. Every hair of our head is numbered, He desires close and sweet fellowship with us every moment, but this parable displays the attitude that we should have toward God and the Lord Jesus as our Master. Again, I can only say, "Lord, increase my faith". Please increase my faith to DO what your Word says that I am to do. Increase my faith to LOVE you with all my heart, soul and strength so that I can say with truth, "I am the clay and Thou the Potter." ...for we are all the work of God's hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment