Monday, February 6, 2012

Praising God with the Phoebe-Song

It is hard to grasp how much the Lord loves His own. This day I am full of thankfulness for His fellowship; why would He take thought of me? 'Because He has set His love upon me' because of the shed blood of the perfect sacrifice, His own Son; this is why He takes thought of me!

I walked into semi-darkness just a few minutes after 5:00 this morning and there was a "moonset" that was bright and shimmering on the west horizon. I could clearly see it through the trees, and hadn't recalled seeing one so bright before! There was certainly no need for a flashlight. The moon shone into our window most all night and at some wee hour of the morning I lay awake for a time watching it, then rolled over to read for awhile before falling back to sleep.

After getting Syd off to work I strolled back out into the yard and heard the chickadees singing their 'phoebe' song. It's long been a song of Spring to me and brings warmth into my heart. Mom has always exclaimed that the birds are praising God. Someone told me once that the birds do not sing praise to God because, "the whole creation groaneth and travaileth in pain together until now..." (Romans 8:22). but it goes on to say that "...even we groan within ourselves, waiting for the adoption, to wit, the redemption of our body."  If the birds are not able to sing praises to God, how are we? Not only can we, we are commanded to! When I read it in context, I read that, as believers, we go through travail and groaning, waiting to be clothed upon with our heavenly bodies, so true! In accordance with a myriad of other scripture passages, in the meantime we lift our voices in praise to the God of creation! What a privilege it is too. I tend to agree with Mom, 'the birds are (most likely) praising God'.

Sometimes I am overwhelmed by all that God gives us through the Lord Jesus Christ. He gives us all things that pertain unto life and godliness! What more could we need? We can't need more than "all things".  When I was reading from Luke chapter 19 today, of the triumphal entry of our Lord Jesus into Jerusalem, the words of Jesus were so perfect. The Pharisees wanted Him to rebuke the disciples for their rejoicing and praising God with loud voices. Jesus said, "I tell you that, if these should hold their peace, the stones would immediately cry out."  At that moment even stones could have praised God!!

The sky is a blue that can only be described as 'heavenly'. It is as if you can see all the way to the third heaven (though I don't know where it is, exactly). It's much like looking across the ocean and only seeing where the curve of the earth is. These things are beyond my comprehension. I am glad that God is so far beyond our comprehension that only He can explain Himself. As I read this morning I was thanking Him that only He can know me also! I do not know myself. The older I get in the Lord, the more I realize how little I really know of myself, let alone others. As a young christian I thought I had so many things figured out. I made quick judgements of myself and even of others (shamefully). 99 percent of the time these things proved false and God had to bring me into check. How wise I think I am at times! I seek to be so "discerning" that sometimes I am probably just a shame to my Heavenly Father. What a blessing to know that, "He knoweth our frame, He remembereth that we are dust".  I just love having this relationship with Him, don't you?

If you are reading this and don't know the Lord God, Heavenly Father yet, you can come just the way I did. Jesus Christ is the door into the sheepfold. No man comes to the Father, but by Him (and ONLY Him, by the way, nothing added)

Now I must attend to the dishes and things at hand. The sun pours into the window before the sink and the shadows are streaming across the glittering snow. It is time to work while I praise God, along with the phoebe-song of the chickadees!  Thanks so much for stopping by.

2 comments:

  1. I have always loved the "phoebe-song" of the chickadees too. And I firmly believe that yes, they are praising God with a song!

    I happened to have my Bible open to Psalm 148 here on my desk. It is all about praising the Lord. Listen to these verses:

    "Praise the LORD from the earth, ye dragons, and all deeps:
    "Fire, and hail; snow, and vapor; stormy wind fulfilling His word:
    "Mountains, and all hills; fruitful trees, and all cedars:
    "Beasts, and all cattle; creeping things, and flying fowl...
    "Let them praise the name of the LORD: for His name alone is excellent; His glory is above the earth and heaven." (Ps.148:7-10;13)

    I'd say your mom is on the right track. The birds are praising God!

    And have you ever noticed (I seem to notice this most in winter) how when the chickadees are flitting around in the trees, sometimes it sounds like chiming bells? I thought maybe I was the only one who thought it sounded that way, but I just read in Garden Birds of American that sometimes chickadees make the sound of "a long jingling, like distant sleigh bells". I like that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mrs.V,
    Just letting you know that you won the giveaway on our blog.Do you mind if we hand deliver it this weekend?Or do you prefer it mailed?

    ReplyDelete