Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Of Mothers and Mothering

"She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness. Her children arise up, and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praiseth her. Many daughters have done virtuously, but thou excellest them all." Proverbs 31:27-29

Though I failed to post anything on the blog, we had a wonderful Mother's Day weekend, with both of the dear mothers nearby. On Saturday we spent some time with my Mom on the hill, though these pictures were taken at an earlier time.



On Saturday, Mom went with me for a while in the afternoon when we took our friend, Evelyn, over to pick up a "Precious" little kitten that she can now 'mother' and keep company with.

"I'm Precious"
Of course, Sunday was the Lord's Day and after church in the afternoon we went down to visit Syd's mother. What a nice time we had with she and Bob.



Mother's are such a gift from God. Syd and I are so thankful for ours. We have other special ladies whom the Lord has put into our lives also. We lost Syd's dear Aunt Euleta this year. She was such a wonderful 'mother-figure' to Syd and his brothers through the many years, as well as to me, as I was only eighteen when she first started 'mothering' me!

One of my very favorite pictures of Euleta. Here she is with Syd's brother, Keith.
Aunts can be wonderful 'mothers' in our lives. Here is Aunt Olie (a great-aunt to Syd), who has just 'been there' through the years and now takes us in, every holiday, to make the time of year special and keep us all together. We love her so very much.


I have special aunts too. My aunt Janet (and uncle Norm) have always been some of my favorites and we still have close contact on a weekly basis. Aunt Jean is a huge part of my life. Especially in the early years, spending time at their home, and in these recent years, she and uncle Bernard spending so much time with my parents. We are glad that she still lives nearby.

So many families drift far apart through the years. What a blessing when some of those special people stay close and are just, 'there'!

I leave you with a cute picture of two wonderful mothers. MANY years ago I bought these dresses in a bag sale. Of course as you can see, it was in the early eighties (though the dresses looked to be late seventies style!). You know that your mothers must love you VERY MUCH, to allow their photo to be taken in these. Here we are at a mother-daughter banquet with our church ladies.  It was taken in front of the house I grew up in. Just LOVE these ladies!

Syd's and my mother in their lovely polyester dresses. 
a few pictures to end with...
Evelyn is thrilled with her  new kitty. And I know they'll give each other much company.

"You can see how I got my name!"


1 comment:

  1. What wonderful pictures ! Wonderful ladies too. Not to mention YOU, wonderful lady!! And that Precious! JUST like our little fat Lizzie!! Same markings and all. I know Evelyn will be so happy to have this companionship with a cuddly kitty. Blessings to you all!

    ReplyDelete