Thursday, June 9, 2011

The Skies Opened

I'm home from work this afternoon, eating my cereal when the thunder hit and lightning flashed and the sky opened up!  My first thought, "where is my Mom?"  I know, that's what you mothers think when your children are outside just before a heavy rainstorm.  I quickly finished my cereal, grabbed my hubby's coat (which covers more area than mine does) and Ruger and I rushed out to the car.  When we drove to the top of the Hill, there she was, enjoying cereal of her own, safe on her porch swing.

I am so thankful that the Lord takes care of His own.  He loves and watches  over our loved ones more than we ever could.   My hubby called to check on me today, to see if there is anything I need from the store.  He is coming home with milk and, unfortunately, a cold that I gave to him.  See, we don't always do the best for our family, so I have made him chicken soup, to make up for it.

I have another sickly occupant in our household.  It was once the most beautiful Oxalis (shamrock) plant.  This particular variety has showy, maroon leaves and was in total bloom.  I tried to keep it as a houseplant, though it said that it enjoyed being outside in shade/part shade.  I could not bring myself to believe that this tender plant could withstand being out in the elements, so I kept it where I thought it could receive some light but no direct sun.   Within two weeks all of its outer leaves drooped and died.  I have now moved it out, though still in its pot, to the great outdoors.  I'm tempted to draw an obvious spiritual lesson (there are at least two that I can think of), but no doubt, you have already thought of at least one of them.  The only words of comfort I can give to the little struggling plant as I pass by is, "poor little oxalis", which doesn't bring much help, I'm afraid.

Well, hubby just got home with the milk and his cold, so here comes the chicken soup!
Take care of your loved ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment